- 45 lbs x 5, 135 x 5, 145 x 5, 165 x 3, 185 x 2, 205 x 1
- 222.5 x 5 (5RM PR), 4 (FAILED)
- 135 x 10, 8
Finally failed on the bench! This ends an epic run that started back on June 10 at a mere 170 lbs.
- 1RM Before: 230 lbs. After: 250+ lbs (last fresh test on 8/20).
- 5RM Before: 205 lbs (estimated). After: 222.5 lbs.
Keep in mind that the 250 lb 1RM was about halfway through. I haven’t tested it on a fresh day recently so hopefully it is much higher now. I should test it next week to see!
Things started getting rough at about 205. Allow me to quote myself:
- August 16 at 205 lbs: “This is getting pretty heavy and ugly.”
- September 9 at 212.5 lbs: “The last rep on all of these sets were slow and ugly.”
- September 17 at 215 lbs: “The 5th rep on each set were all very slow grinders. Surprised I got them but I got them.”
I had been considering a self-enforced reset but kept feeling fresh enough to have a go at the 3×5 with 2.5 lbs each time. I have a feeling that I would have gotten the 3×5 at 222.5 if I had waited until Monday. In any case, I’m happy with the progress and happy to start a new phase.
One thing that I need to decide — should I go with a linear progression or go to the Texas Method? I did a little of both on this run. I enjoyed doing the TM and will probably go with that but using a linear progression on Wednesday for the press. Here’s the idea:
- Monday: Bench 5×5. Starting weight: 200 (90% 5RM).
- Wednesday: Press 3×5: Starting weight: 137.5.
- Friday: Bench 1×5. Starting weight: 220.
I would like to do a fresh 1RM soon so perhaps Monday I will do that and consider next week a deload otherwise. We’ll see.
KB Clean & Press
- 40 lb (18 kg) x 10/10, 10/10, 10/10
- Total time: 4:00
- ~450m (around the block) x 4
- 1 min rest
- Total time: 15 min
- Average: 3:00/450m
I did the first lap using Pavel’s “breath through the nose” self-limiting trick. I don’t have the clearest nasal passages so that was interesting. I liked the idea and tried to match the pace on the subsequent laps.